All about producing and mastering audio for disc, the web and beyond

Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Grammy's and Mr. Stoute

In the NYTimes, long time music entrepreneur, Steve Stoute, slung some hash the way of the Grammy's and NARAS in a paid ad/letter he took out in the magazine. As I read his rant I became increasingly uncomfortable with much of what he was saying. Not because I think it was entirely without merit in some of the arguments and, yes I believe things could be made much better, BUT, in the end, it seemed he was complaining that his horse didn't win. You can read the post yourself here:


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-stoute/steve-stoute-grammys_b_825377.html#postComment


Our Dear Mr. Stoute is ignoring some essential facts:

- The awards are voted on by NARAS members, not decided in a back room with the exception of lifetime achievement awards and such. There is no conspiracy. Otherwise ow to explain Esperaza Spalding, Arcade Fire and Alison Krause/Robert Plant a few years ago?

- Secondly, the categories in the Grammy's and the Latin Grammy's have changed to reflect the changing culture. It ain't perfect but it's not so broken as he suggests.

No I don't agree with the final tally, ad if left up to me, the nominations round would come out different in many cases. But I am not a committee of one.

I would respectfully suggest that Mr Stoute wouldn't turn down an award if it were offered to someone he deemed worthy.....but he's no committee of one either.

No comments:

Post a Comment