All about producing and mastering audio for disc, the web and beyond

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"...talent is overrated and... it’s really the hard work..."

The subject of this post kind of says it all. It's less a statement than a question. It seems like another version of the nature vs nurture argument. I have SUCH mixed feelings about it, starting with the idea that being capable of hard work IS a talent, or a predisposition. I mean if you don't want to do something, or don't NEED to do it, why would you work hard to hone your skill or realize your ambition? I believe that hard work certainly is 99% of success. I also believe that repetition and a feedback loop that includes experimentation, observation, and self assessment is really what's required to improve.

So, do I believe talent is overrated? Only in the mind of the talented artist who has no appetite for the work and only wants to be discovered. Do I believe you can succeed simply by working hard? Probably, though I do think that an open mind and sensitivity to idea and aesthetic are also required. Is it possible to succeed without one or the other?

I think not. I suppose how one defines success....

No comments:

Post a Comment